One of the larger industries in the country is that of the agricultural industry. This industry employs a lot of skilled and unskilled laborers. There are a variety of opportunities in the agricultural industry for start-ups that can quickly become very lucrative. One of these is that of a small scale organic fertilizer production business.
Any serious-minded agricultural professional knows that there is a lot of potential in manures and compost for earning more money. Entrepreneurs can quickly get started in this field and make a lot of money by simply understanding the process of becoming a small scale organic fertilizer production business.
Organic fertilizer also referred to as manure or compost, is simply put, excrement from farm animals and humans, it’s also derived from decomposing vegetation and plant materials. Once the materials are composted and properly “processed”, they can then be used in gardening to help cultivate healthy foods and plant materials for human consumption and for major growing businesses.
For those who are concerned about the start-up costs, it’s important to understand that there are many great government grants out there that can help get the business started and off the ground. There are also agricultural agencies that will work closely with such projects to help them get the project off the ground.
Here are some easy steps to get a small scale organic fertilizer production business started:
1. Do the research. How are you going to source your materials? How are you going to process them? Will you use machinery or simple equipment to do your composting to turn the materials into fertilizer?
2. Will you be selling to USDA? If so, how will you be preventing toxins from entering your materials and contaminating them? You’ll have to be certified that everything is organic so you’ll need to have the means to ensure that your materials are all organic.
3. Write out a business plan. In order to receive any grants or donations, you’ll need a business plan to refer to. This plan will show your intentions and how you plan to implement them to your potential donors and those who offer you grants.
4. Register your business and obtain any permits that are required for your area to run a small scale organic fertilizer business. Check to ensure that you’re in full compliance with all of your local regulations.
5. Lease a facility or designate your farm or ranch as the place of business.
6. Source all of your materials and be able to show that they are all organic.
7. Determine how you will package your fertilizer once it reaches its final stage. After packaging, you’ll have to market your product as well. Many combine the packaging and marketing into one step by making the packaging speak for itself. In addition, other fertilizer making machines are necessary, such as crushing machine, compost granulating machine and so on.
Now that you know how to start your small scale organic fertilizer production business you can begin to focus on building your business so that it reaches its full potential. Focus on building slow but steady for best results.